Diversity & Inclusion
- Assert and demonstrate our individual and collective
responsibility to invite, honor, and learn from our
differences, as preparation for an increasingly interconnected
- Intentionally reflect the vibrant demographics,
in all its complexity, of our city, our region, our
State, and beyond.
for Diversity and Inclusion
- Attract, retain, and graduate North Carolina students
of high academic promise by eliminating financial barriers
- Furnish North Carolina’s economy with highly accomplished
thinkers, negotiators, planners, collaborators, and
- Assure that our campus, our region, and our State
understand how uniquely positioned we are to define
the practical, life-long value of a liberal arts education
in the 21st century.
for Public Responsibility in North Carolina
- Share responsibility with the greater Asheville community
for collaborations on issues of mutual concern, benefit,
for Public Responsibilty in the Greater Asheville
- Serve as the standard of excellence for public liberal
arts undergraduate education, emphasizing interdisciplinary
learning and exceptional faculty-student mentoring.
Benchmarks for Undergraduate Education
- UNC Asheville will be a leading undergraduate research
institution for faculty-mentored, student-directed Undergraduate
Research. Assure continual stewardship of the Undergraduate
Research program and deepen its focus on societal concerns.
Benchmarks for Undergraduate Research
The Campus Experience
- Engage all students in a robust campus learning experience
based on community responsibility, learning, respect,
for the Campus Experience
- Demonstrate the value of UNC Asheville's distinctiveness
within the UNC system so that our optimal size and liberal
arts mission are acknowledged and rewarded within the
State formula for funding higher education.
private funding to assure the University's ability to
fulfill its commitments to generations of students and
citizens of North Carolina.
for Economic Sustainability
- Build a respectful, vibrant, responsible and inclusive
campus community for everyone that encourages academic,
civic, and public engagement.
- Invest in the development and success of all students,
faculty, and staff members.
for Social Sustainability
- Build on our state-wide leadership and recognition for
environmental stewardship through continued academic inquiry,
energy efficiency, conservation, and green building practices.
Pursue creative, respectful,mission-focused campus expansion.
for Environmental Sustainability