April 20, 2005
Public Information Office
310 Owen Hall, Campus PO 1820
Asheville, NC 28804-8507
828/251-6526 - FAX: 828/251-6677
Other Named Buildings at UNC Asheville
Carmichael Hall: Constructed in 1966, Carmichael Hall was named after Dr. Oliver Cromwell Carmichael, former chairman of North Carolina’s Board of Higher Education.
Carol Belk Theatre: The 1976 construction of the University theatre was made possible by Irwin Belk of Charlotte, a generous supporter of higher education and a North Carolina senator and congressman. The theatre was named for his wife, Carol Grotnes Belk.
Union: Constructed in 2004, the new student union honors longtime
Justice Center: In 1963, the Justice Center was named for Asheville native, Charles “Choo-Choo” Justice, a famed North Carolina football player.
Karpen Hall: Constructed in 1990, Karpen Hall was named in honor of Morris and Leah Karpen, prominent community leaders and major contributors to the university.
Lipinsky Hall: Built in 1964, Lipinsky Hall was named after local businessman and community leader Louis Lipinsky, who was instrumental in generating support for the 1958 and 1961 bond referenda.
Mills Residence Hall: Ernest and Albina Mills established a number of important endowments at the University, including the Mills Foundation, which provides a variety of scholarships. Ernest was the founder of the Asheville-based Mills Manufacturing, the leading military parachute manufacturer in the world. Mills Residence Hall was constructed and named in their honor in 1987.
Owen Hall: Owen
Manufacturing Company founder Charles D. Owen made contributions to
Phillips Hall: Built in 1963, Phillips Hall was named for Robert F. Phillips, a longtime University of North Carolina Board of Governors member and chairman.
Ramsey Library: A newspaper editor and city and state official, D. Hiden Ramsey was the first chairman of the statewide Board of Higher Education. Ramsey Library was constructed in 1965 and was the first building on campus to be named.
Reuter Center: Built in 2003, the Reuter Center houses the North Carolina Center for Creative Retirement. The center is named in honor of Irving J. Reuter, a former General Motors executive who established the Janirve Foundation, the largest contributor to the construction of the center.
Rhoades Hall: Rhoades Hall was named in honor of Verne Rhoades, a prominent Western North Carolina scientific forester. The Rhoades family donated land in his memory to create the four-lane W.T. Weaver Blvd., which connects Broadway with Merrimon Ave. and is an important access route to the University. Rhoades Hall was completed in 1961.
Robinson Hall: Built in 1988, Robinson Hall was named after Asheville optometrist and environmentalist Samuel Robinson.
Weizenblatt Health Center: Constructed in 1972, the student health center was named for Dr. Sprinza Weizenblatt, an Asheville physician and longtime supporter of the University.
Constructed in 1975, Zageir Hall was named after Coleman Zageir, a
life-long supporter of the University.
Athletics - Administration - Community Resources
Prospective Students - Current Students - Alumni and Friends - Faculty and Staff
Home - Calendars - Directories - News and Events - Site Map - Search